Wherever you are, 
click the totem (here) to return to the Home page

Lehmann

(Brandenburg, Germany)

Ernst Paul Lehmann manufacturer toys in Brandenburg from 1881 until 1948, his cousin Johannes Richter taking over production following Lehmann's death in 1934. Post war, Brandenburg became part of the new German Democratic Republic (East Germany), and the business was nationalised as part of VEB Mechanischne Speilwarenthe where toy production continued. See Zeuke and Wegworth, Stadtilm.

Johannes Richter, having been denounced as a war criminal and racketeer by the Soviets, managed to escape to Nuremburg in West Germany where a new toy business was established. Richter passed away in 1956, but the toy company, run by Richter's sons, continued to prosper, leading to the introduction, in 1968, of a new product, Lehmann Gross Bahn or LGB. In 2006, the company's 125th anniversay, the US arm of LGB was split off as a separate business, and the German LGB became part of Marklin the following year.

Although not a producer of tin toy trains, the Lehmann company did produced a range of tinplate buildings and accessories which are of interest to the toy train enthusiast.


Lehmann 772 tinplate double garage, 7 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 772 tinplate double garage, 7 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 772 tinplate double garage, 7 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 772 tinplate double garage, 7 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 771 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 771 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 771 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 771 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 806 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 806 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 806 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 806 tinplate single garage, 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep.

Lehmann 809 tinplate service station/garage, battery illuminated. Size 14 x 10 x 9cm

Lehmann 809 tinplate service station/garage, battery illuminated. Size 14 x 10 x 9cm

Lehmann 809 tinplate service station/garage, battery illuminated. Size 14 x 10 x 9cm

Lehmann 809 tinplate service station/garage, battery illuminated. Size 14 x 10 x 9cm

Lehmann 809 tinplate service station/garage, with original box.

Lehmann Shenandoah tinplate airship - imagine this suspended over a layout, with Meccano aeroplanes.

Lehmann first introduced a Rigi cable car in 1928, apparently inspired by Johannes Richter's honeymoon in the Swiss Alps, where he saw the Mount Rigi cable car. The Lehmann model 795 was tinplate, and not to be confused with the modern model 900 produced today in plastic, by LGB, although early 900 series models were tinplate.


Lehmann 795 tinplate cable car, with two passengers. Car 4 inches long.

Return to O Gauge